This past weekend reached the warmest temperature that it’s been in Madison in almost five months. FIVE MONTHS. Hallelujah. It’s grilling season baby.
In light of this, I would like introduce you, my friends, to my all-time, hands down favorite homemade meal. Ever. And that’s saying a lot ’cause well, let’s just say I love food and I’ve made a lot of meals. But nothing quite measures up to Mama Munz’s sweet and salty cedar plank salmon. And if you don’t like (or think you don’t like) salmon, I hereby challenge you to take a leap of faith and try this recipe out. I would be thoroughly shocked if you find yourself disappointed. And it would obviously mean that you didn’t make it right.
Just kidding. But really, this salmon right here, is out of this world.
The key to the amazing flavor is the cedar plank, which you can find at Walmart, Gander Mountain, or Costco. However, if you don’t have the cedar plank you could grill it without one, bake the salmon, or use another alternate cooking method and it’ll still be delicious. I’ve really been digging the fresh wild-caught Alaskan salmon from Costco, but you can get your fish wherever you wish. So here’s what ya do:
1. Soak your cedar plank in water in the sink for 1-2 hours.
2. Make Mama’s special seasoning. It’ll make about a half cup total that you can store in an airtight container for later use, so just sprinkle what you’re about to use onto a plate.
3. Coat your salmon on both sides and edges.
4. Place it on the cedar plank and grill over medium to medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes with the grill top closed.
5. Pair with your favorite veggies. I sautéed some zucchini and summer squash.
Enjoy this mouth-watering meal and all of its health benefits. One 4-ounce salmon filet contains more omega-3 fatty acids than the average American consumes over the course of several days. It also contains about 26 grams of protein – over half of the daily recommended intake!
So fire up your grills ladies and gents. Spring time has been a long time coming in Madison, Wisconsin.
Mama’s cedar plank salmon rub (GF, PALEO)
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8-10 (1/2 cup seasoning)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1.5 T. kosher salt
- 2 T. paprika
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
What are you going to fire up your grill for first this season?