Who says cooking has to be complicated and time-consuming? In all honesty, a lot of the time I’m not even up for one of Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Meals. Like wait, what? I thought five minutes was quick, not thirty. I just got home from a day of classes, work, and running around campus, so the last thing I want to do is stand on my feet in the kitchen.
Therefore, I give you:
Sweet potato fried egg skillet. Tell me that doesn’t look wonderful. And all it requires is four ingredients and a little bit of patience while you sort of watch it on the stove to make sure the house doesn’t burn down.
Boom. Dinner. (Or lunch). (Or breakfast).
Healthy + delicious doesn’t mean complicated. No excuses, people. You do not need to stop by KFC on your way home because you don’t feel like cooking. You do not need to put a bunch of chemicals and unknown ingredients into your body for the sake of “saving time.” All you need is to plan ahead enough to have four ingredients in your house. So when you’re tired and hungry, you’ve got a meal that is packed with vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, protein, complex carbs, and fiber. Take that, KFC.
4-Ingredient Sweet Potato Fried Egg Skillet (gf, paleo)
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- salt/pepper (optional)
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Chop the sweet potato into about 1/2 inch cubes. The smaller they are, the faster they cook.
- Add sweet potato to pan. Coat in coconut oil, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, making sure there is enough moisture in the pan so that they do not burn.
- Chop onion. Add to pan.
- Once potatoes are soft, create an opening in pan for the egg to go.
- Crack egg, cover, and cook about 3 minutes or until egg is cooked through to your liking.
What are your favorite meals that contain five ingredients or less?